Wednesday, January 21, 2009

welcome home, president bush!


tonight we celebrated the end of the Bush Administration---TEXAS style! josh, patriot & i eagerly packed some snacks, cold weather accessories, and headed out to TSTC for the welcome home Bush family party. we arrived a smidge before the 6:30 cut-off, only to wait in line over an hour to be checked in by security inside one of the airplane hangers. patriot played football, ran tirelessly back and forth, up and down the rows while we waited our turn in the COLD. when it came down to the end of the line, they hurried us thru and rushed us onto a bus that took us out onto the tarmac. then more waiting and picture taking took place (see the above pic of pst & the flag...his new luvie) he even learned to say 'bush'--- SO cute. i kinda have it on video, but we will see tomorrow if that really worked!
then airforce one flew over and rolled in...WOW was it breathtaking!
here is my first glance of the first couple, exiting airforce one to a cheering crowd of W's.
the president gave a heartfelt speech, thanking us for our prayers during his time in office. he said he returns to texas with his head held high and is happy to be back for good.


after his speech and a VERY long and emotional day, he walked the line, signing autographs, shaking hands and posing for pix. i was THIS close to the man--5 people away! i could see his little hairs between the cellphones and cowboy hats:)

then it happened. out from the speakers came my FAVORITE patriotic song, Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American". now, i had teared up when the plane rolled up (American flag on the tail lit by a spotlight) ,the door was flung open and out walked President Bush, but this was almost too much for me. i couldn't break down into full-out sobs--so instead, i sang my heart out and focused my attention on trying to snap a pic of marine one (the heli). the pictures didn't really turn out, but the image of my sweet son waving his flag while on his daddy's shoulders made my heart sing even louder. i truly am proud to be an American.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Rose said...

Awww, that makes me tear up. I'm so glad that you got to experience this, and so very glad that PST got to experience this! I so wish that we could have been there too!

lauren said...

How neat that you got to go!! I just love George and Laura and am already missing him!

Anonymous said...

How did y'all know about that? I had no idea! What an awesome experience!!!

Kylie said...

Awesome! What a great post and a GREAT picture of Patriot on Josh's shoulders! Love it!

Kimberly said...

I am so jealous! I would love to have been at the airport cheering him back to Texas. I love that family and reguardless of the poles, I was proud to have him as our leader. Good pics!