Monday, January 26, 2009

viva la San Antonio

it all seemed so easy at first, but then, in true Murphy's law form, it nearly ended before it began...

first, you must know that we waited almost 20 months before deciding to take a weekend trip ALONE (read: without the tot in tow). we had a free weekend stay for a condo in San Antonio that had to be used by the end of january, so we thought this would be the perfect chance for me to bite the bullet and leave my baby(okay, okay...toddler) from sun up to sun down for 2 whole days.

i had stayed up late the night before, tediously typing a schedule and doing some general clean-up and laundry so as not to be too rushed on friday while waiting for our sitter to come over. so naturally, on the day of departure, our sitter for patriot (my sweet sis) came down with the flu & an ear infection.

patriot & i were at the zoo on a mini-playdate with some friends when we got the doctor's report from erin. 'call your mom', the girls said. 'you have to go---it's important for your marriage!' at first i thought, maybe i can get out of this weekend and delay having to leave pst, but then i realized i really WANTED some time off to spend with my man...SO i called my mom. she sweetly packed her bags and headed south for the weekend---- noni to the rescue!

by the time we finally got on the road it was almost 8pm, so we stopped about 40 minutes down the road for some delish BJ's pizza. we arrived in san antonio a little after mid-night and were thrilled at the thought of sleeping in--no baby monitors needed!!

we headed to the river walk that afternoon, amused at the tourists bundled up in parkas, gloves and fleece. but as soon as the sun set, we quickly found a restaurant that served blankets with dinner!

we sat right on the water at boudro's, which came highly recommended by the couple who took our first photo of the evening (san antonio natives:). at one point, i had a blanket underneath me, one over my shoulders and one shared over our laps! the picture of us at the table didn't turn out so stellar (maybe it was josh's swollen eye? sorry, babe!), so instead we snapped a pic of our fabulous waitress, liz preparing our table-side guacamole.
ever had oranges or kosher salt in your guac? me neither, but it was yummy! we ended up ordering a dish called big tails, little tails---shrimp & lobster with an avocado rosoto...Mmmmm.
i have to preface the above pic by saying josh thought this shot looked weird. BUT we didn't have any other pictures of a swanky condo, so i opted for the 'bubble bath gone out of control' pic:) the jacuzzi tub was my favorite feature--i ate breakfast in the bath both mornings:) i decided to try i teeny-tiny bit of bubble bath the second day, and i had 2 feet of bubbles towering over me in a matter of minutes!

of course we checked out the alamo (the b&w photo, does look like we photoshopped ourselves in, however:) and did some shopping on our way back to waco (who can resist the janie & jack outlet in san marcus?) my sweet in-laws took over for mom at lunch on sunday, so they were treating our little man to dinner at the elite cafe when we arrived home.

he didn't seem shocked to see us. he didn't throw his arms around me a gleefully exclaim "mama!", but he let me smother him with kisses and stroke his un-hawked hair, before handing me half of a bite of chicken tender. i certainly missed him, but i'm thankful that we have such loving parents who take such great care of him.

in the end, i'm SO happy we were able to go and spend some time together, just the two of us. we do have the privilege of date night on most wednesdays (thanks eee!) but this time was precious and a new set of memories we will share as a couple.

7 comments:

Mollie said...

I'm so glad it worked out for you guys!!!! Makes me want to do the same!

Rose said...

That is awesome! I am in awe of your courage and bravery! A whole new set of skills when you are a mommy! And wha? Theres a Janie and Jack outlet in Marcos?:?:

Anonymous said...

Good times...I knew you could do it mama...I did of course have my doubts, but I knew you could do it :)

Love,
FOB

autumnesf said...

Grandma's are the bestest!! Yeah Noni!!

Unknown said...

I am glad yall got away. It is so good, isn't it?!

Melissa said...

How fun, Kel! So glad your trip didn't get cancelled! What a fun getaway. I miss being able to run to SA on a whim. :)

Nicki W. said...

ahhhh! good for you. this makes me want to go with my love somewhere--hmmmm...may have to wait until solid food starts!

xoxo